Friday, February 5, 2010

Saints a sentimental pick

I'm picking the New Orleans Saints to win Sunday's Super Bowl for a few reasons. Sure, the usual stuff, team of destiny, rising from the flood waters of hurricane-ravaged city, breath of fresh air with Drew Brees at QB, all-around threat in Reggie Bush, excellent coaches, solid D, etc.
Sure, you gotta admire Peyton Manning because the guy is just so damned good but I'd like to see him lose this one, please.
Also, I hated how Indy benched their starters late in the season, compromising the entire playoff system and insulting their fans. Fate decrees that should come back to bite them in the ass.
I've been to the Big Easy a couple of times, back in 1978 and later in the mid- to late-1980s to play rugby. In fact, playing for a touring side out of Ottawa called the Rock N Roll Rebels, I was part of a Mardi Gras rugby tournament championship team, defeating the St. Louis Bombers in the final.
Neat story, that. The sponsor of the team was the Anhauser Busch beer guy for his part of the city and he took us to a nearby bar after the final and told the bartender to keep serving us free product as long as we were there. "You beat my boys," he said. "So, I gotta take care of you."
Anyhoo, Saints had 39 takeaways on D during the regular season and 7 so far in the playoffs. That's my key stat.
No, Manning isn't likely to turn the ball over much. If ever. But ...
Saints 45, Indy 39 in a CFL-style shootout.

No comments:

Post a Comment